Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

04-20-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 6

P51 Screen Dimming

2021-04-20, 14:31 PM

I have had a P51 for several years, and for its whole life it has had an aggravating display quirk. On the builtin screen, the brightness/contrast will dim depending on the content shown. For example, if I open an app like a text editor with a black background, the display visibly reduces contrast over a few seconds until the text is actually difficult to read. It does not change the actual brightness setting, so I can increase brightness again to make things legible. When I go back to a website or document that is mostly white, the contrast fades back in, and I have to turn the brightness down to not be blinded.

This seems to be an intentional feature. Maybe the developers assumed that if I was using dark mode, I would be in a dark environment, so I would want a dimmer screen. In practice, it just makes the laptop harder to use. When I switch between a dark text editor and a light website, I have to alternately strain to make out text and be blinded by my screen. In a broad daylight environment, apps and websites with dark backgrounds aren't usable at all because of the low contrast. This is a feature I really really want to disable.

The problem does not appear in Linux, only Windows. But of all the other people I know who have Windows laptops, none of theirs behave like this. I think this is a Lenovo-specific display driver or something, which is why I came here. It only happens on the internal display, not connected displays.

Hardware: Thinkpad P51, i7-7700, Nvidia Quadro M1200

Software: Windows 10 20H2

Options

3227 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16315 Page Views

• Views: 16315
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:P51 Screen Dimming

2021-04-20, 16:16 PM

Hello alterationbrick,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Have you updated the drivers and BIOs thru the support site?
I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

04-21-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 6

P51 Screen Dimming

2021-04-21, 10:09 AM
I've got the same problem on my new DELL Inspiron 15 3000 running Win10. But I don't have it on my other DELL Inspiron 15 5000 or my Lenovo P52 Thinkpad laptop. So its either a Win10 and/or a video driver setting.
Options

3227 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16315 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-05-04, 22:06 PM

You may try running the machine in safe mode and see if the same dimming also happens.
Else follow the steps here to disable adaptive brightness and likewise set power option to full performance to check if this can prevent the dimming.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

04-21-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-05-05, 8:16 AM

Hi Lorenzo, when you say "Else follow the steps here to disable adaptive brightness ", you gave no link to the steps to follow.

Options

3227 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16315 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-05, 13:56 PM

Sorry about that.

Here are the links for adaptive brightness:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-brightness-change-automatically/91806163-1fb0-4d9d-b7a2-2b7ef0eccd6e

https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht103104-how-to-enable-or-disable-adaptive-brightness-feature-in-windows-81-ideapad

And here's a related topic that you can get ideas from as well:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Yoga-X1-3rd-Gen-Adaptive-Contrast-re-enabled-after-update/m-p/4381271

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms