Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

10-18-2020

Switzerland

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Thinkpad P14s AMD Gen 2 Fedora 34, NO ETHERNET, NO WIFI, NO 4G

2021-07-02, 14:19 PM

Hi,

just received my P14s AMD Gen 2 and was a little bit disappointed...

The Laptop is considered to be Ubuntu / RedHat certified, but there are major issues!

- Wifi is not working, it doesn't even recognise the card.

- Ethernet is not working

- 4G is not working

- Startup / Bios is buggy, there is a tornado of all colors all over the screen, when booting up.

... How can you even think about selling this as a Linux Laptop?

(Allthough the 4K Monitor has worked out of the box with Fedora 34, which I hadn't expected, so congrats!)

I had to use a USB-to-Ethernet Adapter to get Internet, which is kind of stupid if you recognise, that the Laptop has Ethernet and Wifi and even 4G.

Dear Lenovo, why are you selling Products and mark them as Linux compatible if you can't manage to get even Wifi / Ethernet working?!

Please fix ASAP, or I have to return the machine, since I'm not willing to run stupid Windows on it.

Thanks in advance!

Options

2 Posts

07-02-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:Lenovo Thinkpad P14s AMD Gen 2 Fedora 34, NO ETHERNET, NO WIFI, NO 4G

2021-07-02, 16:17 PM

Same hardware. Also received today. No solution. Just a quick "me too" (on Ubuntu). Looks like I have to spend some time figuring this out.

Options

2 Posts

07-02-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2021-07-02, 20:08 PM

WiFi starts working after following the steps from here: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89.

Still, i cannot change display brightness.

Options

13 Posts

10-18-2020

Switzerland

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2021-07-03, 10:30 AM
Is the FNLock maybe activated? Thanks for the link, but I'm not gonna run experimental firmware in case of a glitch.
Options

13 Posts

10-18-2020

Switzerland

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2021-07-03, 10:33 AM

There are also issues with ACPI-Event. If you close the lid, it will never come back from sleep again.

It's the second laptop that i bought, which was considered to be linux compatible, and wasn't! I will stop buying Lenovo until they get serious with this stuff...

What about 4G, there is Quecktel in it, which should be linux-compatible due to their homepage, when will the drivers come?

Options

702 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

480 Signins

5546 Page Views

• Views: 5546
  • Message 6 of 13

2021-07-04, 3:40 AM

Hi @smiles1314 

We're still doing the Linux enablement on this platform, so can you let me know why you thought it was Linux ready? It's not completed the Canonical certification yet which is the first step (after that comes the energy cert testing, and then we release the preload and hopefully online sales). Afraid you're just too early.

Please let me know where you saw it listed as Linux ready so I can fix that - it will be Linux ready - but isn't yet.

For the notes above - we're waiting on the Realtek WLAN driver to be complete. They're working hard on it (and the dev repo has been listed above which is good) but it's not upstream yet. This device was a last minute and unexpected hardware change and has really impacted the Linux program - it was outside our control. It is delaying our schedules unfortunately and there's not much I can do about it

For sleep - you'll need to use S3 for this generation of AMD CPUs.

For 4G - I'm not sure we're going to have 4G support on this particular platform but will have to confirm with the WWAN team. The Quectel modem driver is in 5.13 kernel, and you need an updated modem manager, but all of that hasn't been backported into Ubuntu yet (and I don't belive Fedora has picked these up yet either , I'm sure they will soon). It certainly hasn't completed FCC cert yet I'm afraid.

Hope that helps - I know it sucks but please be patient - we're still working on this platform.

Mark

Options

13 Posts

10-18-2020

Switzerland

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2021-07-04, 11:05 AM

Hi Mark,

It's written on your home page ... https://www.lenovo.com/ch/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/P14s-AMD-G2/p/22WSP144SA2 

Why do you have to throw everything untestet on the market?

When can we expect our new bought computers to get useful?

Options

2 Posts

07-13-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Message 8 of 13

2021-07-13, 14:15 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for providing this information.

Do you have a tentative date for when the P14s Gen 2 AMD platform is likely to get Ubuntu Support / Pass the Canonical Certification?

Is there some web page / url that I can look at to find out more information about linux support for this platform?

Many thanks

Simon

Options

702 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

480 Signins

5546 Page Views

• Views: 5546
  • Message 9 of 13

2021-07-13, 17:22 PM

Hi,

The Canonical certification page (https://ubuntu.com/certified?category=Desktop&vendor=Lenovo) is a good starting place as once we've passed certification with Ubuntu you'll know that Linux can run on the system to Canonical's standards (which are pretty decent).

Once the system is certified we then complete internal testing and energy-certification - which usually takes a couple of weeks. We've hit big issues with the e-cert previously (it really impacts the G1 AMD platforms) and they can take time to fix depending on the issue.

Once we've passed e-cert the platforms are ready to go online. The US team are the best here - once the system shows up on their site (Shop Linux Laptops) it's good to go. As an aside I'm still working/nagging to get the other geo's to put Linux on their sites to - it will happen eventually.

For other distro's - all fixes for our platforms do go upstream, so all distro's should work eventually. Sometimes it can take a little while for fixes to go from being approved upstream - into Linus's tree - and then back down to the distro of choice. We work closely with Fedora and I've gotten fixes pulled in earlier there though mostly we are able to just rely on the natural flow of events.

I've had on my todo list for a while to improve our Linux landing page at Lenovo to have information like this - we had someone working on it who then left and it needs some attention. I'll put it back on my whiteboard and see what we can do. The web team don't give the engineering team free access to the website or we'd do it ourselves...

For the P14s AMD G2 - the biggest blocking issue there is the Realtek wifi. Realtek are making good progress on their driver but it's not accepted upstream and they're forecasting mid-august currently. Canonical then need to backport into their OEM kernel and they've not given me dates yet as there are too many unknowns.

It really sucked having the HW changed on us at the last minute - it's not something we've had before. Component shortages are making this year somewhat painful :(

Mark

Options

2 Posts

07-13-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Message 10 of 13

2021-07-14, 11:49 AM

Thanks for such a full reply.

My P14s AMD Gen2 laptop has been delayed from August to November :-(

Anyway good know you guys are working on it, and at least I guess the Realtek wifi support and Canonical Certification should be ready by the time I get the laptop.

Cheers

Simon

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms