Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad X1 Fold
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

11-28-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 5

Linux on the X1 Fold

2020-11-28, 8:54 AM

I've been playing around with my Fold for a while, and as others have pointed out it's a marvellous piece of engineering. There are some disappointments (like the awful speaker, definitely sub-par compared to the iPad Pro or MacBook speakers) but it's otherwise really fantastic for a 1st gen product.

I've installed Linux side-by-side with Windows (just Debian Buster for now) and *almost* everything works, including wifi, Xorg, and Gnome. A few major things I'm struggling with right now are:

1. Touch screen doesn't work at all

2. Bluetooth doesn't appear to be working (haven't played around much, but it wasn't discoverable after flipping the switch in the Gnome Bluetooth setup)

3. The screen orientation sensor doesn't seem to be working (this might require some iio-sensor-proxy config)

I thought I'd open this thread to get the conversation going for others who want to get Linux working on their Fold!

Options

12 Posts

11-28-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:Linux on the X1 Fold

2020-11-28, 9:02 AM

Regarding the touch screen, I'm struggling to find out what the exact model is. Everything I've read says that it's a Wacom touch screen, so my main focus was on updating the the input-wacom kernel module. I've tried both the 0.46.0 release and building the source from head, to no avail. I haven't bothered updating the xf86-input-wacom driver, as it doesn't appear that input-wacom is actually detecting anything.

I've also tried digging in to the Windows device manager, and it has a "HID-compliant touch screen" which has the vendor listed as 8086 (Intel) and the device as 98D0, which doesn't appear on DeviceHunt or anything else. I'm very open to next suggestions!

Edit: also just noticed the WCOM5102 hardware ID on the "Intel Precise Touch and Stylus" device on Windows. That doesn't really help much, but at least it means that the answer might lie in input-wacom driver. I'm going to open an issue on their GitHub.

Options

12 Posts

11-28-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-12-01, 12:47 PM

Update: one of the input-wacom contributors is kindly helping figure out the touchscreen (this is the issue if you want to follow along). Could it be that the touchscreen is connected via i2c and not USB? Will be interesting to find out.

I've also noticed that the sound doesn't work, so that's another thing I need to dig into.

Options

12 Posts

11-28-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-12-06, 7:06 AM

Ok so I've been pecking away at getting the touchscreen to at least be detected by getting the Linux IPTS driver working, and then that will hopefully reveal some interactivity between it and Wacom. In the meantime I've noticed that I can't control screen brightness from Gnome, I haven't dug into it but I suspect that's another piece that will need attention.

Options

1 Posts

01-16-2021

Ukraine

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-01-16, 19:06 PM

Hi!

I have good knowledge of linux. I have worked a lot on embedded systems, mostly arm tho, but it is not a problem. I would be happy to fix all this stuff. Ofc i don't have a device, so if Lenovo can provide me one for development, I will do that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)