Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-27-2021

Switzerland

40 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 5

Portably charging Lenovo Yoga 9i

2021-07-09, 16:09 PM

Dear Lenovo Community,
Recently, I have bought a lenovo Yoga 9i 15. I needed the computational power it has to offer and am generally very happy with the device. However, battery life is not that great and I need to make sure I can get through a day of work with it. Instead of constantly being at risk of running out of battery, I tried to find some portable power sources like PD powerbanks.
Here's the problem:
The Laptop has an input of 130W through Lenovo's proprietary charging port (the slim square one). It does not support USB-C charging.
I was planning to use a power delivery powerbank of 100W and an adapter from USB-C to the charging input of the device (examples below)
https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/inline-usb-c-dc-2m-usb-kabel-14625596?dbq=1&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds
https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/lenovo-usb-c-zu-slim-tip-adapter-weiteres-notebook-zubehoer-14078547?dbq=1&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds
But recently, concerns came creeping in. What if it doesn't work? A 100W power delivery powerbank can cost quite a lot, which is why I'd like to make sure it works, before I buy it.
As far as I'm concerned, power delivery requires a protocol for communication. Undoubtedly, a USB-C port doesn't have any trouble providing that. With the slim square charging port, I'm not so sure, however. Truth be told, I really doubt it. Nevertheless, maybe some kind of adapter could make it work.
I also found a powerbank from Lenovo which apparently, can be used to charge laptops via their charging port (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc500013-lenovo-usb-c-laptop-power-bank-14000mah-40al140cxx-overview-and-service-parts), which is great and leads to the conclution that other PD powerbanks could support that too.
So, my question is: Is there a way to portably charge my Lenovo Yoga 9i (preferrably with a powerbank)? I'd be glad if you could share your experiences and expertise.

Options

4371 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

353 Signins

33502 Page Views

• Views: 33502
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Portably charging Lenovo Yoga 9i

2021-07-09, 20:09 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @ Mysic!

Thanks for posting here!

Please share here your Yoga 9 laptop's MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications.

It can be seen through the device's label/sticker or its original packaging and does usually have a format of 8********R as an example.

As for the third party brands (cable) that you're checking, it would be advisable to get in touch with the manufacturer to inquire if the item is fully compatible with the machine.

Make sure to inquire about their store's policy as well if in case the item isn't working so that you can return it.

You may also check this previous post for additional reference.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Options

3 Posts

05-27-2021

Switzerland

40 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-07-10, 9:25 AM

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I checked for numbers and found some on its packaging. I don't know if it is the MTM number though.
40SCX0V079100CJ / 00651KS00

In Vantage, there are some other numbers too (see attachment).

I think the MTM number is: 82DE0014MZ (matches your description best).
I hope you got what you need.

As for external cables: If Lenovo supplies something I could use, I'd of course be happy to use that.

MOD: Image containing serial number removed as it's a privacy risk on a public forum - Doc

Options

4371 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

353 Signins

33502 Page Views

• Views: 33502
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-07-13, 20:30 PM

Thanks for providing your device's details @ Mysic!

As for your concern, we cannot guarantee any third party items/accessories if they will be compatible with the device.

With this, it is best to get in touch with the manufacturer to inquire first before purchasing.

As for the USB-C power bank, you can try to explore similar product(s) like this though, we're sure that other users here at the Community Forums can also chime in to this post and share/offer their experiences and suggestions towards it as well.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Options

3 Posts

05-27-2021

Switzerland

40 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-08-19, 13:50 PM

So, let's assume the cable works, but does only transfer the Power from the USB-C Port to the Lenovo Slim Tip. Is there a possibility that it would work? My problem is, that I've heard that PD is more than just the flow of power, but a whole protocol, meaning it requires the device actively requesting power from the powerbank which leads to some sort of data exchange. I do not know, if that is true, but if it is, I doubt the Lenovo Slim Tip Port is capable of such interactions with the Powersource. However, Lenovo's proprietary Powerbank seems to be able to supply power for a Lenovo Slim Tip, which again made me wonder if my concerns are really justified. I would buy the Lenovo Powerbank, if only its capacity and maximum power weren't so limited.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms