Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

05-10-2009

SLC, UTAH

168 Signins

1213 Page Views

• Views: 1213
  • Message 1 of 5

Looking for advice in dealing with EzServ repair/escalation

2009-05-14, 17:58 PM

I ordered and finally received a brand new T400 last week. My main reason for purchase was to have a personal extension of the T400 I use in the lab. I work with images taken via microscopy, so in order to have a good match between the two computers I ordered a panel with exact same specs (WXGA+ LED backlit 1440x900). To my dismay the new T400 that just arrived has a completely different screen that looks outright defective. The contrast is extremely low (blacks look very gray-like), and the backlight is a bit uneven (at working angles the white gradient changes from bluish on the bottom to almost yellowish at the top). The worst however is red channel, which is impossible to calibrate and get right with usual adjustments I do to my monitors. No matter what adjustments I make, it is much closer to orange than it is to true red. In fact, I’ve never in my life seen such bad color reproduction; it is almost like the red is being emitted at wrong wavelength. It looks like a burnt out 15 year old CRT monitor. I put the three laptops I have available side by side (including the other T400), and the difference is absolutely crazy. This completely makes my new purchase not very usable for what I initially bought it for (to have minimal differences between the lab and personal laptops). I can’t imagine that the color that is not being displayed right is within spec and after comparing the two T400s side by side, I think that the new screen must be defective.

I ended up calling the technical support to complain about it, and they instructed me to send a box so they can look at it. I sent it in, but today I get a call from them saying that they could not find anything wrong and my two choices would be to leave it like it is or pay them $750 for replacement. I talked with a very nice gentleman who carefully listened to me and suggested case escalation. I proceeded with his recommendation.

This brings the final question: do these escalations actually work? I am having a bit of anxiety that in the end I will end up with a week old laptop and a $750 bill. Could any of you offer some advice about how is it best to deal with these case escalations?

My other option would be to send it back and eat the restocking fee, which I would rather not do. I absolutely love the T400, and it would be a shame if I have to return it due to a totally useless screen. I am curious of anybody here had any success with these escalations? I don’t want it to take forever and have my return option evaporate due to that. I really want to know if I am banging my head against the wall with escalations. I had a horrible experience going through escalations when Verizon made a $2000 billing mistake. Escalations took forever and were utterly useless.  I did not have my resolution until I wrote to corporate about 5 months later. I never dealt with Lenovo before, so I am looking for feedback about how others dealt with similar situations.

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Looking for advice in dealing with EzServ repair/escalation

2009-05-14, 21:04 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Normally, escalations are available once the machine has been in depot for seven business days or more. If your case fits in that category, you should be OK.

Having said that, I'm not quite certain that you'll manage to get the LCD replaced. What I am certain of is that you will NOT be billed anything unless you've approved the repair in writing.

Worst case scenario is that you'll have to eat the re-stocking fee. The best case scenario is that the LCD will get replaced and that you'll be happy with the replacement one.

Escalations process actually works quite well, in my limited experience. It's a whole another matter whether the depot supervisor will agree that the LCD is indeed defective...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

33 Posts

05-10-2009

SLC, UTAH

168 Signins

1213 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2009-05-18, 22:44 PM

well today would be 7 days since i sent it in originally. Since my last conversation with them nobody has contacted me yet. I will probably call them to follow up on it tomorow.

So far I really hope they do something about this screen and not drag it along until my return window will close. I find it really hard to believe that a screen that is physically unable to display one of the three main colors properly is not defective (especially when compared side by side with another t400 with same specs).

Options

33 Posts

05-10-2009

SLC, UTAH

168 Signins

1213 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2009-05-26, 23:46 PM

Well it seems just like i feared, my laptop is stuck in some kind of limbo at Lenovo.

Last Tuesday I talked with person in charge of escalation and she agreed do replace the panel for me. However, it seems like the billing never received a note from her (or so they say), so my laptop has been stuck on hold for a week. The worst thing is that I cannot seem to get ahold of her to sort this out, and every time I call billing, I just get referred back to the initial escalation manager. Seems like I am stuck in some kind of a cycle.

So far its been 15 days since i first sent it in, and nothing happened so far. My biggest worry is that this week the 21 day return window closes, so if they really fail to fix my screen, I will be stuck with something that is not very usable for my work. Can't say that I am too satisfied with my experience so far.

Options

33 Posts

05-10-2009

SLC, UTAH

168 Signins

1213 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2009-05-28, 21:22 PM

well after all this, I finally have my computer back. It turns out that the manager did submit the necessary note, but the billing simply missed it, and found it once I called a few times complaining.

The good news is that the panel was replaced, and the new one looks absolutely great, identical to the other T400. So after all, I probably received some defective one that slipped through QC. The fact that the whole process took almost 3 weeks is a bit annoying, but I am happy in the final outcome.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms