SI

31 Signins

186 Page Views

• Views: 186
  • Message 1 of 155

Voice match not working

2018-12-12, 23:12 PM

Hello,

I have been trying to enable Voice match as a way to unlock my Motorola Moto G6 Play without success because I can't train the phone to recognize my voice. I have followed the steps below:

1. Go to Settings then Security and Location;

2. Smart Lock;

3. Voice match. Here I enable Voice match and Google app opens;

4. When I asked to pronounce "OK Google" nothing happens. The "wheel" located before "Pronounce OK Google" text just keeps spinning and nothing happens. Is it as the microphone does not work, although the microphone works well in any other app on the phone. As a result of this, I cannot enable Voice Match to unlock my phone.

Options

1675 Posts

03-04-2016

IN

1008 Signins

34250 Page Views

• Views: 34250
  • Message 2 of 155

Re: Voice match not working

2018-12-13, 7:18 AM

wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to enable Voice match as a way to unlock my Motorola Moto G6 Play without success because I can't train the phone to recognize my voice. I have followed the steps below:

1. Go to Settings then Security and Location;

2. Smart Lock;

3. Voice match. Here I enable Voice match and Google app opens;

4. When I asked to pronounce "OK Google" nothing happens. The "wheel" located before "Pronounce OK Google" text just keeps spinning and nothing happens. Is it as the microphone does not work, although the microphone works well in any other app on the phone. As a result of this, I cannot enable Voice Match to unlock my phone.

Hi Phone_user,

Thanks for posting, have you tried retraining OK Google? Open up the Google App on your phone, then click on the 3 dots, menu button, then click on Settings, then Voice, then Voice Match, make sure first that Say "OK Google" anytime is on, as well as Unlock with Voice Match. Finally,y select Retain voice model and follow the instructions. 

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

11 Posts

10-10-2018

SI

31 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 3 of 155

2018-12-13, 13:07 PM

That did not help.

When I go to Google app as suggested, the phone does not react to my voice as described in step #4 in my first post.

I forgot to mention in my first post, that my language is set to Slovenian. When I open Voice match in Google app, the option is grayed out. However if I add English (US) as a language in Google app, I can access voice matching, but I described, the phone does not react to my voice.

Strange enough I could access voice matching when I bought the phone in September with Slovenian language.

Options

11 Posts

10-10-2018

SI

31 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 4 of 155

2018-12-15, 13:15 PM

Can  someone tell me, if voice matching does not work, because my phone is configured to use Slovenian language? Is this "by design"?

Thanks.

Options

1675 Posts

03-04-2016

IN

1008 Signins

34250 Page Views

• Views: 34250
  • Message 5 of 155

2018-12-18, 7:04 AM

Thanks.

Hi Phone_user,

Apologies for the late answer! The Google Assistant is available in Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Thai. More languages are coming soon. 

When you change the language you use to talk with your Google Assistant, you change the language across your device.

On your Android phone or tablet, touch and hold the Home button or say "OK Google."
At the top right, tap Explore & Your stuff and then More More and then Settings.
Tap Assistant and then Languages.
Tap Add a language, and then choose a language. You can choose one or two languages.
Say “OK, Google” in the first language you chose.
Talk to your Assistant in either language, but not a mix of both.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

11 Posts

10-10-2018

SI

31 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 6 of 155

2018-12-18, 12:54 PM

Adding English as a primary language or as a secondary language does not solve the problem. The phone does not react when I say "OK Google".

In short, even if I:

1. Open Google app

2. Go to Settings;

3. Choose Language and then add English either as a primary or a secondary language;

4. Go to Voice matching

the phone simply not reacts to my voice, when I say "OK Google". THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM OF INSTALLED LANGUAGES IN GOOGLE APP, SO PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST TO ADD ENGLISH LANGUAGE, BECAUSE ENGLISH IS ALREADY ADDED. AS A MATTER OF FACT VOICE MATCHING IS "GRAYED OUT" OR UNAVAILABLE UNTIL I ADD ENGLISH IN GOOGLE APP.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT EVEN AFTER I ADD ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THE PHONE DOES NOT REACT WHEN I START VOICE MATCHING AND SAY "OK GOOGLE". SEE THE SCREENSHOT.

At this point I just want to know if voice matching is disabled if I use Android in Slovenian language, even if I add English as primary language in Google app. Is this by default? Do I have to "reinstall" Android and choose English as my language at the beging of the setup phone process to be able to use voice matching?

Options

11 Posts

10-10-2018

SI

31 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 7 of 155

2018-12-18, 16:51 PM

I know that Google assistant / Google app is only available for certain languages. I HAVE ALREADY POSTED IN MY PREVIOUS POST THAT UNTIL I ADD ENGLISH LANGUAGE AS PRIMARY LANGUAGE (ALONG SLOVENIAN) IN GOOGLE APP, VOICE MATCHING IS UNAVAILABLE. WE BOTH AGREE ON THAT. In short, English is already added in Google app.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT ADDING ENGLISH LANGUAGE DOES NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM. I CAN START VOICE MATCHING FEATURE, BUT THE PHONE DOES NOT REACT TO "Ok Google" COMMAND. In short, when I say "OK Google" nothing happens. Please see the screenshot below.

Note that because of this problem I can't use voice matching feature to unlock the phone.

I would like to know if such behavior is "by design". Do I have to reset the phone and then select English language at the beginning of the setup process instead of Slovenian? Is it impossible to have Android user interface in Slovenian and Google assistant / Google app in English?

Options

20 Posts

12-14-2018

US

30 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 8 of 155

2018-12-18, 20:16 PM
How good is your English? Maybe the phone can't understand you.

If I say the wrong words during the voice training I get the same result you are getting. I tried to say a name instead of "Hey Google" to see if I could do it and it didn't work.

If you finally get past this issue, don't forget to enable "Smart Lock (Google)" as a trust agent in your security settings. That turned out to be why I couldn't unlock my phone with Voice match. (after successful training)

Options

11 Posts

10-10-2018

SI

31 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 9 of 155

2018-12-18, 20:45 PM

Well, I studied English for 8 years and you can judge my English from my previous posts. I'm pretty sure how to pronounce "Hey Google" in a quiet room with no background sounds.

Options

20 Posts

12-14-2018

US

30 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 10 of 155

2018-12-19, 4:49 AM
Your written English being flawless does not inform me how clearly you speak it. I'm going to assume that's not the issue.

Reading the thread over and over one things sticks out, the moto agent said "Say “OK, Google” in the first language you chose."

Since only one of the two languages you want to use are on the list, you probably have to setup the phone in english, then add the 2nd language after it's all working again.

I'm no tech, I'm just reading your thread and trying to help understand your issue.

I know there's been security patches since sept, perhaps one of those is what caused the issue to pop up.

You may have better luck on the google forums, I did.

https://support.google.com/assistant#topic=7546466
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save