Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-13-2013

South Africa

8 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G580 - Battery Charge Stops at 60%

2013-07-13, 15:06 PM

I bought a Lenovo G580 Ideapad (i3, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, WIn8, Model 20150) about 10 days ago. I tested the notebook for five days under the pre-installed Windows 8 and everything ran perfectly. I do not like Windows, more especially the new Windows 8. So, I installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon and again everything runs perfectly. I love this new Linux OS and my new Lenovo notebook.  But just one little problem! --- it's about the battery charge discussed hereunder:

While I was using Windows 8 for the few days, I used the Lenovo Power Management application that came installed in the notebook to make some power settings. The default setting for power was "balanced" and I left this alone. There was a separate setting for prolonging battery life if the notebook is normally used plugged to the AC power supply. Since I use AC power most of the time, I chose this option to prolong battery life where the battery charge stops at 60%. At this time I could switch easily between 100% and 60% charge - it worked very well. The setting was left at 60% when I installed Linux Mint to completely replace Windows 8 . After installing Linux Mint, the 60% charge setting I made in Windows 8 using the Lenovo Power Management application is still present. The charge stops at 60% in Linux Mint, and also if I boot up with Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and even  Windows 7 disk borrowed from someone. So, this seems not to be a Linux issue as Windows 7 also reports the same 60% charge. It seems to me that the Lenovo Power Management application has configured the "hardware" to charge up to 60% only; and this can only be reversed (to 100% charge) if I re-install Windows 8 and the Lenovo Power Management software - all of which I do not have. (I couldn't make Windows 8 recovery disks because the pereinstalled system did not provide this faculity like older Lenovo notebooks, for example my older G550. Unfortunately, I forgot to make a backup of the drivers and utilities from Drive: D) And this is another reason for Lenovo to provide a facility to make Windows backup from the preinstalled Windows.

I tried suggestions made by several people. Removed battery - powered system by AC - powered off - reinserted battery, and other similar suggestions. Someone suggested that the notebook has a power reset switch which can be activated by inserting a straightened paper clip through a tiny hole in the notebook casing and activacting a switch therein. When I looked for such an opening, there was one right next to the left "Ctrl" (control) key. I tried this - there's no switch there - no clicking sound/feeling. Seems nothing like a switch. I looked in the BIOS (which is now set for legacy mode to install Linux) and there is no power setting function there. What do I do?

I put this problem to the Lenovo Community and especially the Lenovo Technicians to see if the charge rate can be reset to 100% under the Linux environment. Is there not a Lenovo Power Management application for Linux?

With kind regards to all. I hope to hear good newa soon! :smileyhappy:

Answer
Options

3 Posts

07-13-2013

South Africa

8 Signins

43 Page Views

Re: Lenovo G580 - Battery Charge Stops at 60%

2013-08-07, 18:29 PM

An update: Downloaded Lenovo G580 Power Management utility - Win 7 version. Temporarily installed Windows 7 (borrowed) and the power management utility. Set battery charge rate to 100%. Then reinstalled Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon to replace Windows. Now the battery charges to 100% in Linux.

What I cannot understand is that some Lenovo G580 come with Linux preinstalled but yet Lenovo cannot provide the power management utility to users like myself who replace Windows with Linux.

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

07-13-2013

South Africa

8 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

2013-08-07, 18:29 PM

An update: Downloaded Lenovo G580 Power Management utility - Win 7 version. Temporarily installed Windows 7 (borrowed) and the power management utility. Set battery charge rate to 100%. Then reinstalled Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon to replace Windows. Now the battery charges to 100% in Linux.

What I cannot understand is that some Lenovo G580 come with Linux preinstalled but yet Lenovo cannot provide the power management utility to users like myself who replace Windows with Linux.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

17 Posts

08-13-2013

Norway

21 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-09-16, 15:54 PM

what if you try to install the power energy mangnet or whatever. maybe you can try to install win 7

Options

59 Posts

05-25-2013

United States

221 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Views: 2087
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-09-16, 21:43 PM

there is a utility for linux called tpacpi-bat that lets you talk to the embedded system controller and tell it what charge thresholds you want it to use. for something more intelligent you can also look up http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html

I use the former on my laptop to avoid keeping the battery at 100% when I'm at home most of the time plugged in.

I hope someone finds this info useful.

as far as lenovo providing linux software, aside from bootable CDs for updating the firmware, and some EFI applications (bootable diagnostics) I don't think they have any sort of policy for providing linux support for anything. The tpacpi-bat and TLP use ACPI calls to talk to the system and I think those even were reverse engineered. (pretty sure they weren't documented anywhere but I could be wrong about that).

For windows 8 (which seems to lack the battery threshold controls oddly enough) you can check out http://thinkutils.com/

Options

3 Posts

11-07-2013

South Africa

5 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 5 of 5

2013-11-07, 15:36 PM

I have the Lenovo G580 and love it - but also all connected to electricity but the battery is not charging - I do have Windows 8 and also love it! but... - what do I do to get the battery to charge?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms