Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-28-2020

Germany

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 2

Hybrid Docking Station with Linux/Wayland Notebook

2020-11-09, 13:05 PM

I recently bought a "Lenovo Dockingstation Dock Hybrid USB-C" to use with my T490.

I exclusively use Linux and I use Wayland compositors (mainly Sway here). So no xorg!

When connecting the dock to my notebook I can use the USB and ethernet ports just fine (although there is another ethernet device created, which is very unfortunate...)

But I cannot get my displays working. I have two monitors connected by display port (HDMI is also not working). They do not show up in my display managing whatsoever. The monitors are working fine when connected to my old dock or directly connected to the notebook.

I already borrowed a Windows notebook and updated the firmware of the dock. Update was successful, but nothing changed for the displays.

I read about the dock being a DisplayLink device (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DisplayLink), which requires additional drivers to be installed. I installed those and the `evdi` kernel module, but after a restart it fails before starting my login manager (greetd) with some `evdi` errors.

Is there any (official) support for Wayland on Linux or Linux in general? I found a couple of threads talking about similar issues, either not fixed or fixing it by some xorg workarounds.

Thanks in advance!

Options

6 Posts

10-28-2020

Germany

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Hybrid Docking Station with Linux/Wayland Notebook

2020-11-09, 22:42 PM

Tested it with another notebook I have, that uses an xorg compositor (i3). The displays are found there, but enabling the second one crashes the xorg server.

DisplayLink has the same issue: I get a MESA-LOADER error on startup before my login manager starts when the displaylink service is enabled.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms