Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

78 Posts

08-08-2008

Kerala

40 Signins

879 Page Views

• Views: 879
  • Message 1 of 15

How to Install a WIN-MODEM driver

2008-10-06, 15:30 PM

Iam using a Lenovo Y410 laptop, with Win XP, and Open SUSE 11.0.

The drivers for my modem are not installed by default, and it is not even recognised in the Open SUSE.

It seems that my particular model of Modem comes under the WINMODEM type(sort of proprietary), so i don't know how to get the modem working..

Open source geeks out there, help me.... :smileyhappy:

Y410-160GB HDD,T5550,2GB RAM
Ubuntu 9.04 -Gnome, Win Vista(not used much) :) Ubuntu rocks...;)
-------------------------------------------------
Final Year BTech(CSE) Student
Options

23 Posts

10-07-2008

Israel

245 Signins

1084 Page Views

• Views: 1084
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: How to Install a WIN-MODEM driver

2008-10-07, 19:06 PM

Hi,

I'm no "open source geek" but I do know how to use google ;-)

try this page:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

It'll probably be difficult to set though. if I recall, the Linux way of installing new drivers is recompiling the kernel or something.

I'm not a big Linux fan myself (used to be but gave up on it). If you're curious about it but want to make your life a little easier, I suggest you run Windows as your primary OS and run Linux in a virtual machine (Virtual PC is a great solution available at no charge).

Hope this helps,

Elhay

Options

78 Posts

08-08-2008

Kerala

40 Signins

879 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

How to Install a WIN-MODEM driver

2008-10-20, 17:29 PM

I have chacked that site you quoted before too.. and ya I too hit upon it from the usual google search..

as you have said I didn't understand what to do, from reading that...

So if anyone knows exactly how to get a driver for my Motorola SM56 modem, please help me..

Thanks for the reply pal....

I'm a fan of linux and opensource and intend to use it as a main OS too, I don't believe in the idea of keeping away from linux only because we don't know about it...

Though its hard to get used to it, I think linux is far better than Windows, is what I believe....

Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Views: 3923
  • Message 4 of 15

2008-10-21, 22:34 PM

I think Linux is better engineered while Windows has more polish in a lot of UI areas.

My philosophy is that Linux / Unix makes you work harder up front, and Windows makes you work harder every day.  I.e. once linux is set up it doesn't spontaneously deconfigure itself or forget some critical bit of information, whereas even Windows Vista occasionally just goes sideways.

Options

23 Posts

10-07-2008

Israel

245 Signins

1084 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2008-10-22, 11:45 AM

Hey,

Not my intention to start a Linux vs. Windows flame war here, but I thought I'll just drop some of my ideas here:

While Linux is indeed very sophisticated in the kernel level, as pointed out by Sxooter, it has a very long way to go before being able to cater to the home market.

Many of the goodies that can be found in the Linux kernel have large corporations such as IBM and HP to be thankful to. My Philosophy is that open source is basically a flawed approach, unless combined with at least some commercial intervention.

For example, Firefox never managed to really take off until the mozilla organization was founded and with its paid employees. Another issue with open source projects is the quality of the products, visually.

What I hate about Linux today is that not enough effort goes into making it more user friendly.

The available graphical user interfaces (which the wide selection by itself can be somewhat confusing) are simply amateurish. Bad looking and poorly designed.

Why can't sajinsj just download the driver for his modem and have a nice and easy graphical way of installing it, like in Windows or the Mac?

What's even more funny is that the popular distribution, Ubuntu (what a strange and unfriendly name), actually lists a new graphical screen for changing your desktop resolution as one of the new features in their latest release - shouldn't configuration screens like that be mandatory?!

My take - if you're keen on finding an alternative to Windows (or Unix based in specific), just get a Mac. I have an iMac. It is a joy to use, but I find myself drawn to the lenovo hardware because it's better designed and Windows is seriously a great OS, in my opinion, not to mention you can run all software/hardware on it. A lot of what people are saying against it is just hot air.

Options

78 Posts

08-08-2008

Kerala

40 Signins

879 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

Its nice to drop off your ides buddy..

2008-10-23, 15:17 PM

I would first like to ask you whether you have ever tried to install and use any linux distribution.. For eg.the OpenSUSE11.0, that I use has the installation done by 'YAST', which is much more user friendly and has a great graphical interface...

Also as a Vista user do you know that many of the graphical addons that it provides, like the 3D desktop was introduced days back by the linux community in some of its distributions.. As you know buddy many of the companies are still not interested to move on to the opensource ideology fearing of potential losses, that's why many drivers are still not available easily for many devices...But as far as bugs and errors are concerned the open source community is the one who clears it off first as its not a single company behind it but many open source enthusiasts...

And buddy if I had been a little more knowledgable in the programming I would've liked to contribute in open source projects..Only when many peole start using linux, will the misunderstandings about it move off...

And the KDE desktop in linux is very user friendly and has great looks too.

We are not yet understanding linux to its fullest, only when we start using it, will its usefullness, ease of use, and flexibility be understood by us...

Though some open source projects require some commercial intervention, it is still opensource,and that's where its success lies...

Windows is still favoured by us as we have got used to its interface, and hence when we see other interface, we find it difficult to move on to it...(I know that MAC OS has an excellent and user friendly GUI)...

Buddy you start using Linux for a start you use the KDE desktop interface...

I just put of my ideas.....

Options

78 Posts

08-08-2008

Kerala

40 Signins

879 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

Being thankful..

2008-10-23, 15:25 PM

The idea of being thankful to large corporations is not like, it shows that they too are now supporting the opensource ideology..

And for any new idea to get user acceptance it require some strong backing....Now these corporations are also have parts which run under the opensource ideology...

I still vote for Linux, but its interface is far better than that of the Windows is what I feel...

And guys don't forget about my modem Driver(its a Motorola SM65)....:)

Options

23 Posts

10-07-2008

Israel

245 Signins

1084 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

Re: Its nice to drop off your ides buddy..

2008-10-23, 15:29 PM

Hi,

First I would like to emphasize the fact that I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or any other Linux enthusiast out there, I was merely expressing my thoughts on the subject.

Having said that, believe me when I tell you that I've tried every distribution and GUI of Linux that is out there over a long period of time, which looking back was a waste of time.

I wish you well and I sincerely hope you'll get that modem running. We may not agree on the Linux subject but we're both Lenovo fans xD

I run Windows XP, BTW, not Vista. I would if I could, except I can't afford it right now.

Options

78 Posts

08-08-2008

Kerala

40 Signins

879 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

Re: Its nice to drop off your ides buddy..

2008-10-23, 15:47 PM

I was not at hurt buddy, I too just put my ideas here...

I sincerely hope that soon some distribution comes out that is capable of changing your ideas on Linux...:)

Thanks for the reply buddy..

Hope to here more from you..

Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Views: 3923
  • Message 10 of 15

2008-10-23, 16:23 PM

wrote:

Why can't sajinsj just download the driver for his modem and have a nice and easy graphical way of installing it, like in Windows or the Mac?

This is at the heart of the problem.  What happens is that Microsoft and the modem developers worked together to develop the sw based modems that we see call winmodems.    In order to make them work under linux, you can either wait for the modem manufacturers to team up with the linux kernel developers (yeah right, never gonna happen) or someone has to reverse engineer the way they work.  This gives windows a very real advantage over linux in this area.  

A further part of the issue is that with MS you can distribute binary files against a relatively slowly changing windows kernel and it will work for years.  The linux kernel still changes often enough that a binary only module could be out of date in months or at most a year or so, and the linux kernel developers do not cater to commercial binary distributions, and rightly so.  

Please note that ubuntu 8.04 loads and enables darned near everything on my old T42 laptop.  I think the only thing that doesn't work out of the box was the winmodem.  Which I could care less about, here in America where wifi hotspots are more plentiful than star bucks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms