Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

03-31-2013

The Netherlands

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Y500 SLI - Linux (Ubuntu) support

2013-04-05, 14:10 PM

Hello,

This is my second post on the Lenovo forums. I have a question about the OS to install.

I am a linux fan, not a real expert though. I want to install the OS on my Lenovo Y500 SLI

system with Nvidia Geforce GT 650M 2GB (2x). Does any of you have running ubuntu on

this system without any big problems with the second Nvidia graphics card?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

I. C.

Options

23 Posts

03-31-2013

The Netherlands

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo Y500 SLI - Linux (Ubuntu) support

2013-04-08, 7:07 AM

UPDATE:

Yesterday I tried to start my pc using the live USB with Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) with no success.

I booted up from the live USB but got a black screen and everything stopped functioning.

What could be the cause? It's a 2013 model laptop by the way.

Thanks!

Options

18 Posts

03-26-2013

PA, USA

71 Signins

542 Page Views

• Views: 542
  • Message 3 of 13

2013-04-09, 1:34 AM
IIRC, some distros need to have options added to the boot command line to address this. Video mode settings sticks in my mind -- maybe "nomodeset" for starters. HTH
Options

23 Posts

03-31-2013

The Netherlands

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2013-04-10, 10:33 AM

Hmm.. Actually, I found the problem. It has to do with the new UEFI or something. I set it on Legacy Support and I was able to boot from USB. I'm planning on doing a full-ubuntu install since Windows is not my thing. But I don't actually know if Ubuntu supports the second video card in my system.

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks in advance..

Options

18 Posts

03-26-2013

PA, USA

71 Signins

542 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2013-04-10, 23:45 PM
If you plan to have Linux as the only OS on the system, you can treat the 16GB SSD as another drive (if your build included one). In this case, you will probably want to change the partition table from GPT format to the older MBR format before doing the install. (See the Gparted utility - do NOT use 'fdisk' utility; it does not understand GPT format disks.)

Also, if you want to save the factory data and partitions before proceeding, see my post http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Y500-Linux-Win8-Diary/td-p/1073411 for more info.

As for SLI support, just install the 'nvidia-driver' package (IIRC), which includes the Nvidia control panel, where you can configure SLI and other features of the driver.

Hope this helps.

PS - please let me know if this or any info from my other post proves helpful. It will help me write bettter posts.
Options

23 Posts

03-31-2013

The Netherlands

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2013-04-11, 9:07 AM

Thank you for your reply and very nice to see that there are more people on this forum that prefer Linux instead of Windows..

Well, I'm indeed planning on doing a full ubuntu-install. So like you said, I think I will treat my SSD as another partition. Actually, I thought of deleting EVERY partition that is available on my system. So that I have ZERO partitions. And then creating couple of partition to use on Ubuntu.

I don't actually know where I should install the new operating system. In the (to MBR converted partition) SSD or just on my HDD (1TB)?

And there are also recovery partitions and EFI partitions or something, I don't acutally know what they do. I also thought on deleting them. Could that cause any problem?

And after all, could I harm my PC and maybe harm my warranty if I follow these steps to install full Ubuntu? What are the risk and what can go wrong in this process? I'm actually very scared that I will brick or harm my computer. 

Very much thanks in advance.

- I. C.

EDIT:

By the way, are there any problems that are apearing only on the Lenovo Y500 SLI? I mean some problems that can't be fixed that could effect my production? Thanks..

Options

18 Posts

03-26-2013

PA, USA

71 Signins

542 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2013-04-12, 5:46 AM

(I don't know what happened, but a bunch of the text I wrote in this post got nuked after I hit the Post button, %$#&*)

Ihsan95 wrote:

Thank you for your reply and very nice to see that there are more people on this forum that prefer Linux instead of Windows..

> Well, I'm indeed planning on doing a full ubuntu-install.

OK.

> Actually, I thought of deleting EVERY partition that is available on my system. So that I have ZERO partitions. And then creating couple of partition to use on Ubuntu.

This is MUCH simpler than trying to set up dual-boot with Windows 8, which is my current objective (partly because I like a challenge, and partly because I may actually need Windows for the occasional app.)

> So like you said, I think I will treat my SSD as another partition.

STOP PRESSES:  Since my last post, I ran across an article about features in the upcoming kernel 3.9 (to be released later this month), and one of them is using an SSD as cache for a HDD (sound familiar?). The article can be found HERE from "The H Open" web site.

The only downside would be that after installing Ubuntu, you would probably need to add an experimental "package repository" to the package manager to get access to it (kernel 3.9)  in an Ubuntu-ified manner (e.g. - using 'apt-get' or Synaptic to install it). I don't know if that process is over your head atm or not.

> I don't actually know where I should install the new operating system. In the (to MBR converted partition) SSD or just on my HDD (1TB)?

That depends on whether you want to try to use the kernel 3.9 "SSD-as-cache" feature or not.

a) If so, install to the HDD. I suggest a small partition (500M) mounted on /boot, a swap partition the size of your system's RAM and the rest of the drive mounted on / (slash = root). Opinions vary widely (and wildly) about the "best" way to set up your partitions. I believe this is a sensible layout for a basic desktop install, You can also just let the Ubuntu installer handle it. If you don't like the result, a re-install goes pretty quickly.

You can set up the SSD cache for the HDD later, after you get the rest of your packages and kernel 3.9 installed.

> And there are also recovery partitions and EFI partitions or something, I don't acutally know what they do. I also thought on deleting them. Could that cause any problem?

Only if you want to ever get the "factory" install of Windows 8 back. If you haven't had a chance, please look at my other post, which covers backing everything up in case you decide to go crawling back to Redmond.

> And after all, could I harm my PC and maybe harm my warranty if I follow these steps to install full Ubuntu?

I can't speak to warranty issues, If my machine breaks, I expect to have the hardware fixed, period. The installed OS is not an issue in this case. If you want software support, welcome to the forums. You'll get no joy from Lenovo support on Linux issues.

> What are the risk and what can go wrong in this process?

a) Loss of the Windows partition layout and the data contained therein (see my other post on backing all of that up.

b) "Separating" the configuration of the SSD as a cache for Windows, I believe the Intel software is on the Windows install, which (presumably) would let you "rejoin" them,

> I'm actually very scared that I will brick or harm my computer. 

I am not aware of anything which would damage your system's hardware, but I suppose anything is possible.

[N.B. - There was an issue that got some press with some Samsung laptops that got bricked by simply booting a Linux live CD, but this was due to an interaction between a bug in Samsung's UEFI BIOS implemention and a (Samsung?)-laptop-specific driver that was getting loaded early in the boot process.

FWIW - If such an issue existed on the Y500, I'm fairly sure we would have heard about it here on the forums,]

> By the way, are there any problems that are apearing only on the Lenovo Y500 SLI? I mean some problems that can't be fixed that could effect my production?

None that I'm aware of, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Hope this helps.

PS - I am still interested in hearing about your impression of my other thread (as it stands thus far) and whether you actually use any of the stuff in it. I would welcome any feedback, especially as it relates to accuracy and completness of the instructions  Thanks!

Options

23 Posts

03-31-2013

The Netherlands

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2013-04-12, 8:24 AM

Thanks for all that information!

I read your other post en thread and I actually don't want to make a backup of Windows 8 since I have another version of Windows 8 with a key. I found it well written and very helpful for the people in need for backing up their operating system.

I thank you very very much for explaining what needs to be done and what can go wrong. I think I now know how to install full Ubuntu on my system by deleting all the partitions. I'm going to delete EVERY single partition that is available on my system and then do a full install of Ubuntu.

These are the available partitions on my system:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Disk 0:

14.91 GB (SSD) (This is also like a partition, I have the option 'remove')

Disk 1:

1000 MB (Recovery Partition)

260 MB (EFI-System partition)

1000 MB (OEM-partition)

884.18 GB (System partition; boot, etc.)

25 GB (Extra partition for just files)

20 GB (Recovery Partition)

What do I need to do like configure the SSD or just delete the partition on the SSD and then just install ubuntu, but do I need to do anything else with the partition?

Could you please provide me which I should delete? Is it safe to delete all these partitions?

I'm waiting for your reply and want to perform the ubuntu installation tonight after I got your information again. :)

And if I delete those partitions and whenever I want to install Windows 8 again (the same version but not OEM), will it automatically use the Windows 8 serial key that came with my laptop? Or do I need to provide a new key to use Windows 8?

Optional: And will the mouse and keyboard (shortcuts) work correctly?

Another thanks in advance!

- I. C.

Options

18 Posts

03-26-2013

PA, USA

71 Signins

542 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2013-04-13, 20:04 PM
> Thanks for all that information!

It's what we do  - we share, and everyone benefits (as I have from others in the past).

> I read your other post en thread and I actually don't want to make a backup of Windows 8 since I have another version of Windows 8 with a key. I found it well written and very helpful for the people in need for backing up their operating system.

a) Thanks for the feedback.

b) As I understand it, The Windows 8 key is embedded in the system. I believe it's product-specific (Win8 Home / Pro /, etc.) and that (AFAIK) the version for the Y500 is Windows 8 Home 64-bit.

> I thank you very very much for explaining what needs to be done and what can go wrong. I think I now know how to install full Ubuntu on my system by deleting all the partitions. I'm going to delete EVERY single partition that is available on my system and then do a full install of Ubuntu.

Jump down for my next response (>>>):

These are the available partitions on my system:

Disk 0:

14.91 GB (SSD) (This is also like a partition, I have the option 'remove')

Disk 1:

1000 MB (Recovery Partition)

260 MB (EFI-System partition)

1000 MB (OEM-partition)

884.18 GB (System partition; boot, etc.)

25 GB (Extra partition for just files)

20 GB (Recovery Partition)

What do I need to do like configure the SSD or just delete the partition on the SSD and then just install ubuntu, but do I need to do anything else with the partition?

Could you please provide me which I should delete? Is it safe to delete all these partitions?

>>> I'm a bit confused as to your questions:

a) On the one hand, you say you will basically wipe all the drives and install Ubuntu as the only OS on the machine.

b) On the other, it sounds like you want to preserve as much of the existing Win8 install and free up enough space to install Ubuntu, thus creating a dual-boot Win8/Ubuntu system.

In case (a), as I said in an earlier post, this is the most straightforward approach, but it leaves you without a native Win8 install. The only thing to pay attention to is to be certain to create a new partition table in the MBR (not GPT) format before partitioning the drives.

In case (b), you are basically back to what I am trying to do in my thread. Note that the major difficulty lies not in getting Linux installed into a GPT partition on the drive (which I did over a week ago), it's getting the bootloader (usually GRUB) to install and work properly. The problem stems primarily from the fact that, as shipped from Lenovo, the HDD has a GPT-format partition table, and GRUB does not know how to deal with that.

> And if I delete those partitions and whenever I want to install Windows 8 again (the same version but not OEM), will it automatically use the Windows 8 serial key that came with my laptop? Or do I need to provide a new key to use Windows 8?

I don't know. This project is the first time I have worked with Windows 8. (Yet another reason why I have backed everything up so thoroughly.)

> Optional: And will the mouse and keyboard (shortcuts) work correctly?

Not sure what you're referring to here.

Options

23 Posts

03-31-2013

The Netherlands

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2013-04-13, 20:24 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that I confused you with my text that got

edited almost ten times. :) But yeah, I was actually talking about the MBR

part. If I delete all the partitions in GParted and then just install full Ubuntu

on the free space, will it work? Or do I still need to convert? This is the part

that got me converted.

This is the only thing I need to know. If I got this information, I'm ready to wipe

Windows! :)

Thank you very much for your time and information!

- I. C.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms