Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

60 Posts

02-20-2012

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

73 Signins

675 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 675
  • Message 1 of 13

Power Manager - Battery Maintenance does it really work?

2014-11-18, 3:41 AM

I am using an E525 CTO. Since owning, almost 3 years now, I have never had a message notifying me when the thresholds have changed.

If you haven't already figured this out this is regarding the "Optimize for maximum battery lifespan (automatically change for me)" option, which has been checked as well as the "Notify me when thresholds change" option.

Additionally the Battery gauge reset also has an option to "Notify me when reset is recommended" which is also checked. However, I have never been notified of either.

The reason I am bringing this up is, I was looking to buy a new battery, before they are no longer available. My battery is in relatively good condition, and the Power Manager corroborates this. After a 464 cycle count I would have thought there should have been at least a few notifications regarding the battery. Even the thresholds have never changed.

So, my question is...Is it really doing anything. I really don't think so. If anyone has pictures, screenshots or links to video of how any of these notifications appear, that would be great too. Periodically show messages about charge capacity is also checked, never seen one though.

PS - these forums/community is really bad. Hardly any of the threads started get an answer, and many of them are left unsolved. Lenovo should have a team of high end programmers and engineers on here solving people's problems. None of my previous posts have been solved and since buying this Thinkpad, the issues/faults remain. It would be nice to get more techies on here.

Answer
Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

Canada

3313 Signins

95283 Page Views

• Views: 95283

Re: Power Manager - Battery Maintenance does it really work?

2014-11-18, 6:45 AM
Check in the Battery tab's numbers for Design Capacity and Full Charge Capacity. Dividing the latter by the former gives you your current battery health.

I've never gotten a notification until the battery was seriously degraded, so that might just be a good sign.

Some subforums get more attention than others. =/

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Replies(12)
Answer
Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

Canada

3313 Signins

95283 Page Views

• Views: 95283
  • Message 2 of 13

2014-11-18, 6:45 AM
Check in the Battery tab's numbers for Design Capacity and Full Charge Capacity. Dividing the latter by the former gives you your current battery health.

I've never gotten a notification until the battery was seriously degraded, so that might just be a good sign.

Some subforums get more attention than others. =/

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

60 Posts

02-20-2012

73 Signins

675 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2014-11-18, 12:09 PM

How long after did that happen, in time and in approximate charge cycles? As I've said, I have used this ThinkPad extensively, probably every day, constantly in the charger too, and I hardly ever switch it off. The only times are reboots for updates, otherwise it sleeps.

Design Capacity is 47.52 Wh

Full Charge Capacity is 45.12 Wh

45.12 / 47.52 = 0.95.

Does that mean 95%?

Actually, I did notice the Full charge capacity was very close to the Design Capacity when I checked this out a few days ago, but I still thought that I should have received at least one notification from the 3 types available after all this time.

After all the complaints about Lenovo and Thinkpads I think the hardware still seems to be quality. Can't believe the battery is still so good. At least mine is, can't vouch for the new styles models.

Options

60 Posts

02-20-2012

73 Signins

675 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2016-01-31, 12:59 PM

Ok, I've had Windows 10 since September 2015. My battery has severely degraded since I made this thread.

Design Capacity - 47.52Wh

Full Charge Capacity - 29.74Wh

Cycle Count - 679

I have only ever had one warning and that was almost 2 years ago. I can't remember what the notification was but nothing actually happened. Thresholds or battery resets were not performed. Can someone actaully confirm if this is working. I was under the impression the Power Manager should learn my usage habits and appropriately change the charging the thresholds. They are 96% and 100% and it's been left on optimize since new.

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

Australia

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 5 of 13

2016-02-01, 6:04 AM

wrote:

Design Capacity - 47.52Wh

Full Charge Capacity - 29.74Wh

Cycle Count - 679

That is a quite remakeable cycle count!  Usually somewhere in the 300 range is as good as it gets before a bettery gives up the ghost.

That is probably a prima facies indication that something is working for you in terms of battery management.

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

60 Posts

02-20-2012

73 Signins

675 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2016-02-01, 13:04 PM

The cells are made in Japan, and things made in Japan, due to the high labour costs, tend to be of a higher quality. Actually most NiMH batteries of good quality in my experience should get a 500 cycle count if properly maintained. The sign of a good quality battery is one that has a sharp drop off in life. Which I think this has achieved.

However I still don't think Power Manger is working. If, hypothetically the battery has been maintained as instructed and as a result achieved a 679 cycle count, the Manager still hasn't notified me of what it's done. There are 3 boxes in the Battery Maintenance section checked.

1. Notify me when thresholds change

2. Notify me when reset is recommended

3. Perdiodically show messages about battery charge capacity.

Last week I bought  a new 9 cell extended battery from Hemini, the official Lenovo Uk distributor for spares. However, I'm not using it until this one totally deteriorates and I hopefully recieve a notification. Or prove that it doesn't work.

Options

11 Posts

02-01-2016

Canada

17 Signins

193 Page Views

• Views: 193
  • Message 7 of 13

2016-02-02, 0:35 AM

In my case my cells are LGC (LG Chemicals from South Korea). They are premium cells as well.

I'm very curious, have you tried hitting the Battery Gage Reset button? Since your ancient battery has done above and beyond service it might be interesting to have the computer power cycle it.

In my case (+/- 50 cycles) it actually increased the storage capacity above what it had determined it to be (factory was 66wh the program thought it actually was something like 52wh and after a cycle it brought it up to 55+ wh). This would suggest to me that it actually grew the battery's capacity a bit closer to the design spec. 

By no means would I suggest endlessly cycling a battery with the reset button but given one of your batteries is shot it might be interesting to see if you can bring it back, even if it's only part-way. After all, it's already shot so on that one it can't hurt.

Options

60 Posts

02-20-2012

73 Signins

675 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2016-02-02, 3:36 AM
I don't mind trying it out, I'm sure the battery wont be shot because of a simple reset. And it is still giving me over an hour with simple web surfing and probably close to 90 mins if I were to put it on energy saving mode.

I just was under the impression the reset was to synchronise the battery with the software's estimate. So if the computer were going to sleep unexpectedly it would suggest it needed a reset. But its estimates are not too far off. In fact I will test it and report back before I do the reset.
Options

60 Posts

02-20-2012

73 Signins

675 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2016-02-02, 3:39 AM
Oh and I didn't intend for any racial slurs. I know many high quality batteries are made in China, Korea etc. I had never come across Japanese batteries.
Options

11 Posts

02-01-2016

Canada

17 Signins

193 Page Views

• Views: 193
  • Message 10 of 13

2016-02-02, 3:59 AM

wrote:
I don't mind trying it out, I'm sure the battery wont be shot because of a simple reset. And it is still giving me over an hour with simple web surfing and probably close to 90 mins if I were to put it on energy saving mode.

I just was under the impression the reset was to synchronise the battery with the software's estimate. So if the computer were going to sleep unexpectedly it would suggest it needed a reset. But its estimates are not too far off. In fact I will test it and report back before I do the reset.

I'd have to say that's shot :smileyvery-happy: With Li-Ion batteries it's normally not required to do a deep-charge or draw down on them as it is with other battery types, but even so, given your's is already shot, it would be interesting to see if it helps at all. 

In my case, draining/filling it did make a measurable improvement in that the actual whr limit increased. Mind you, my laptop is from 2012, the battery was from the 6th month of 2012 and it only had 20 cycles on it when I got it the other day. Perhaps it needed a good exercise as it must have been sitting for years.

When I first fired up Power Manager it said the design capacity was 62.16 Watt Hours. Yet the battery only charged up to something like 52 WH and the reported 100%. Once I did the calibration routine that number increased to 53.88 (?) and after the last one to 55.x (?) So I seem to be gaining capacity. 

My guess is that the upper end of the meter also self-adjsuts in some fashion. I know battery manufacturers often use different mah rated cells in their packs. The better battery builders use the high-end cells. The Chinese tend to use the cheapest cells that last the least (really low mah rating). It would not surprise me if the meter takes this into account and then decides to up the level if it sees longer then normal run-times. 

Either way, my battery is suposed to be 66 Wh and it is genuine so either the cells are not the proper mah rating or it's just not come back to life as it should - hopefully it will :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms