09-13-2020

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

Camera stopped working

2020-09-14, 0:52 AM

My camera stopped working after installing updates. I have tried every fix, including updating drivers, reinstalling Windows 10, and fixing any registry errors. I paid a monthly subscription for Lenovo tech support since my warranty ran out. I called and was given a ticket number and told someone would get back to me and nobody has. After troubleshooting with Microsoft tech support, I was told that this is usually a problem with the manufacturer's drivers. Can someone from Lenovo please help with this issue? 

Options

989 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

121 Signins

5541 Page Views

• Views: 5541
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Camera stopped working

2020-09-14, 9:57 AM

@ Cindy2020 wrote:

My camera stopped working after installing updates. I have tried every fix, including updating drivers, reinstalling Windows 10, and fixing any registry errors. I paid a monthly subscription for Lenovo tech support since my warranty ran out. I called and was given a ticket number and told someone would get back to me and nobody has. After troubleshooting with Microsoft tech support, I was told that this is usually a problem with the manufacturer's drivers. Can someone from Lenovo please help with this issue? 

Hi Cindy2020,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

What updates were you performing when it stopped working ? If this was the Windows 10 Ver. 2004 update and the Camera stopped working after this, then this is a Win 10/Microsoft issue. Microsoft have said themselves that the Win 10 Update Ver. 2004 has caused a plethora of problems across all brands, as they forcefully install drivers that are not compatible with most devices. 

See Win 10 May 2020 Update Causing problems, and more problems have been reported since.

If you have performed a clean install of Windows. Did you update Windows to the newest version immediately ? If so, I'd suggest trying to roll back the Win 10 Update again to a more stable version. Either that or do a factory reset of the device again:

Here is a full list of troubleshooting steps to perform to try and remedy this:

Step 1. Uninstall Camera Device + Drivers.

- Press the Windows key+X , select "Device Manager"

- Under "Cameras" and/or "Imaging devices" - Select the device in question, right click and select "Uninstall Device"

- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.

- Perform a restart of the computer to have Windows install the most generic drivers for this device.

- Download the newest drivers for you device from the Support Page and/or Lenovo Vantage

- Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then Camera & Card Read

- Now double check the privacy settings and the app access to your camera as described above.

- You can also try using webcamtests.com to check for better compatible drivers for the camera.

Step 2. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :

- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.

- Click “Update & security”

- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.

- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”

- If this is not available, then there should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"

- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  

- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.

**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 3. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update  

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 4. Updating System Board Drivers

Make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface drivers for your device:  

You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS and Chipset section

**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Step 5. Check your antivirus software

In your antivirus software settings, look for settings that block access to your camera or permission to use your webcam. For help, visit your antivirus software company’s website.

In the unlikely event that none of the above steps solved the issue, we will have to perform a factory reset of the device.

Step 6. OKR - One Key Recovery

**This is a complete factory reset of the computer

**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Completely shut down the device.  

- Press the Novo Button :  It is the small reset hole on most devices that you need a unfolded paperclip to reach.  

- In case you do not own a device with a OKR button. You can also find out where it is or what reset function it is for your device at the support page under.

Knowledge Base & Guides -> User Guides -> And clicking the User guide(Not HTML one) in the list -> Ctrl+F to search the document for "Reset" and/or "Novo Button" / "Novo Hole"

- When the system boots up, a menu will appear, select System recovery and follow the recovery process.

- When entering the Windows environment again. Perform step 3 before allowing any Windows updates.

Hope it works out,

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete