cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mohamedkam93
Paper Tape
Views: 750
Message 1 of 7

ThinkCenter M920q Tiny: does it support Windows 7? (Win 7)

if this mdele thinkcenter m920 support win 7 (32 -64)

Mod:  edited Subject line to add a problem description

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 715
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkcenter M920 tiny

It uses 8th gen Intel processors, no Win 7 support.  M910 models with 6th gen (Skylake) processors only (the other half of the models with Kaby Lake have no Win 7 support), are the last with Win 7 support. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
mohamedkam93
Paper Tape
Views: 711
Message 3 of 7

I can not install win 7?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 703
Message 4 of 7

No. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
mohamedkam93
Paper Tape
Views: 695
Message 5 of 7

no solution can i install win 7 ?

SeniorGuru
Views: 673
Message 6 of 7

@mohamedkam93 wrote:

no solution can i install win 7 ?

Again, there is no support from Microsoft for Win7 beyond 6th generation CPUs.  You cannot get Windows Updates unless MS pushes them out, and that will not be done if the machine has 7th generation or newer CPUs.

Also, there are no guarantees that other hardware in the newer machines is supported for Win7 by the hardware manufacturers.  Why would they, if all new machines must be running Win10?  You may be lucky and have no problem with a "generic" driver that will work with all Windows versions, but you may also not be so lucky.

So, now, my question is why MUST you run Win7? Are you running specific software products that don't run under Win10?  Seems hard to believe, although I suppose it is possible if you are still running very old 16-bit or even early 32-bit software products on Win7, which genuinely may not work in Win10.

Are you unhappy with the Win10 desktop and/or Start button/menu functionality, and wish you could have the old comfortable familiar Win7-style Start button/menu and desktop folder/file and shortcut functionality, which is not in the retail Win10 provided by MS?  Well this one you can solve real easy, with a $5 "donation" to Stardock for their Start10 product.  Reinstalls the exact same 100% duplicate Win7 Start button/menufunctionality into Win10.  You won't know you're not using Win7.  So this problem is solved.

Now, again, why don't you want to move on to Win10?  Remember that Jan 4 2020 is the official true END-OF-LIFE for Win7.  It will be genuinely DEAD to MS after that date.  I think your best approach is to go with a new machine like the M920 you're contemplating, and then install Start10, and then see if you can get used to it... which I think you will be able to do.  You will think you have a Win7 desktop (although you still will also have access to the normal Win10 desktop at the same time, if that's what you want to do occasionally).

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 565
Message 7 of 7

You can install WIn 7 in VM (virtually). Using Hyper-V or VM VirtualBox ...

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors