cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyliemou
Blue Screen Again
Views: 354
Message 1 of 6

Battery 2: A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery.

Hello,

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T470 Ultrabook

Type: 20HD

I usually do not have my laptop's battery installed when it is plugged with the AC adapter as I use it mainly at home. But today, while I was out, I inserted it (while the laptop was off) and I received the following error message: "Battery 2: A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery." I've had this laptop for only a year, and everything is up to date. I only take out and put in the battery when the laptop is turned off. According to the battery percentage, it's stuck at 49% and says it's not charging.

49% Not Charging

Battery 1: 100% and fully charged

Battery 2: 0% and not charging

I tried checking the battery in Lenovo Vantage, but it just keeps showing the loading animation, but with no info.

Does this really mean the battery needs to be replaced (already)? Could it be a software issue?

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 272
Message 2 of 6

Re: Battery 2: A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery.

It's showing the battery at 0%.  Try leaving the battery in the system overnight (and plugged in) and see if it will eventually start charging.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 261
Message 3 of 6

Re: Battery 2: A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery.

Leaving the battery out is a mistake.  The power circuitry will shut off charging when appropriate so it won't cook the battery like in an old phone.  You can set start and stop points in Lenovo Vantage to limit how often it will charge..  An unplugged Lithium battery will slowly lose charge.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kyliemou
Blue Screen Again
Views: 217
Message 4 of 6

I left it in for two straights after the issue occured. It's still not charging and I'm still getting that error message. Is there a fix for it, or do I need a new battery? My laptop is still under warranty.

kyliemou
Blue Screen Again
Views: 216
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for that. Now I know.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 208
Message 6 of 6

If the battery won't charge after 2 days of being plugged in, then I think it has gone bad.  I don't think this can be fixed with software.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors