Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KleerSky
Paper Tape
Views: 115
Message 1 of 2

T470 - Dual M.2 SSD's in WWAN slot?

Hello, I'm new here! I have a T470 which I purchased with no WWAN card, and a 512gb M.2 SSD installed ... I also have a secondary M.2 SSD which I would like to install into the T470 as well. Is it possible to use an adapter to put the second M.2 drive in either the HDD or WWAN slot? I can provide more info if needed.

If not, what would I need to equip myself with the install a HDD into the device alongside the currently installed M.2?

Thank you very much,

Ben

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 74
Message 2 of 2

Re: T470 - Dual M.2 SSD's in WWAN slot?

Welcome to the Community

Since the T470 supports single m.2 PCIe SSD with adapter (bracket) in 2.5" bay and m.2 2242 SATA SSD in the wwan slot, it's impossible to fit two m.2 2280 SSD by design.
Source
http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T470/ThinkPad_T470_Platform_Specificatio...

But if both of your m.2 SSDs are SATA type, you might try to use 3rd party dual m.2 SATA SSD to 2.5" drive bay adapter. There is a lot of such adapters on the market. For example, StarTech offers adapter with 7 mm in height (the version with opened frame), with RAID 0,1 capabilities as well BIG and JBOD ones. Though, RAID features requires both drives have the same capacity. The latter feature - JBOD - allows to use different drives but requires SATA controller of the laptop supports Port Multiplier feature. I don't know about that capability of the laptop.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors